Planning Consent and Building Regulations

Building Regulation Consent is required for nearly all building work whether external or internal.

Planning Consent

Planning Consent is required for many of the projects you carry out on your home or business premises. These will be largely external alterations only, but can apply to internal alterations where the property is Listed or the alteration means you will be changing the use.

Building Regulations protect you as a building owner in respect of health and safety in the use of a building.

Permitted Development

There are also many instances where your proposed project is Permitted Development and does not require Planning Consent. Whilst, on the face of it, the rules concerning Permitted Development appear simple to understand, these are quite complex rules and you would be well advised to seek a professional opinion before carrying out any works without Planning Consent.

We always advise obtaining a Certificate of Lawfulness for proposed works before embarking on large expense in order to protect your investment. This certificate will put your mind at rest that the development is lawful and provide you with the proof you need that Planning Consent was not required when you sell the property.

Building Regulations cover :

  • Structure
  • Fire Safety
  • Contaminants and Moisture
  • Toxic Substances
  • Ventilation
  • Sanitation, Hot Water Safety and Water Efficiency
  • Drainage and Waste Disposal
  • Heat Producing Appliances
  • Protection from Falling
  • Conservation of Fuel & Power
  • Access and Use of Buildings
  • Electrical Safety
  • Security (Dwellings)
  • Workmanship & Materials

How we can help you

At Downlands Design & Surveying we can advise on the specific requirements for your particular project in relation to the property and whether you require Planning Consent, Listed Building Consent and/or Building Regulation Consent.

We can then prepare the necessary documentation, submit them on your behalf and deal with any queries put forward by the relevant Authority.