Architectural Design Services

We use AutoCad – Computer Aided Design (CAD) software, in line with most other professionals, to create the architectural drawings for your project.

We welcome residential and commercial design work, including alterations, extensions, conversions and newbuild.  We transfer all our work and drawings digitally to our colleagues and clients. All Planning Applications are submitted via the Planning Portal and Building Regulation Applications via Submit-a-plan to our partner Authority or private inspectors.

Planning Consent and Listed Building Applications

We submit detailed plan submissions to Local Authorities for Planning Consent, Listed Building and Building Regulation consent. (See the information concerning your obligations) We have a good working relationship with Planning and Conservation Officers and our Partner Authority Building Control Department and private inspectors.

Professional Services

  • Measured Surveys

Full detailed measured surveys of buildings and land.

  • Feasibility Studies

Initial advice on whether a project is worth proceeding with. This often requires some expenditure on fees before anything else is carried out.

  • Building Design

Scheme ideas are presented to clients for comment, amendment and finalisation.

  • Planning & Listed Building Applications

Full digital production of drawings and other documents for electronic submission to LPA’s via the Planning Portal.

  • Building Regulations

We partner with one particular Building Control department but also work with Private Inspectors taking account of specific client requirements.

  • Project Monitoring/Contract Administration

Services are tailored to meet clients specific requirements and budgets.

  • Insurance reinstatement works

Detailed assessment of damaged caused, specification of reinstatement works, liaison with Loss Adjusters, contract administration.

  • Party Wall Advice

We are experienced Party Wall Surveyors and boundary assessors. We are members of the London & Sussex Branches of the P&T Club.

Planning Consent

Planning Consent is required for many of the projects you will want to carry out on your home or business premises. These will be largely external alterations only but can apply to internal alterations where the property is Listed or the alteration means you will be changing the use. We can advise and prepare and submit all types of planning application on your behalf.

Permitted Development

There are also many instances where your proposed project is Permitted Development and does not require Planning Consent. Whilst the rules concerning Permitted Development appear simple, they are, in fact, quite complex and you are advised to seek a professional opinion before carrying out any works without Planning Consent.

We always advise obtaining a Certificate of Lawfulness for proposed works before embarking on an expensive project. This certificate will give you peace of mind and the proof you need that Planning Consent was not required when you sell the property.

Building Regulations

The regulations cover the following key areas and consent must be obtained for all alterations involving these type of works. Always consult with a professional before embarking on a building project:

  • Structure
  • Fire Safety
  • Contaminants and Moisture
  • Toxic Substances
  • Ventilation
  • Sanitation, Hot Water Safety and Water Efficiency
  • Drainage and Waste Disposal
  • Heat Producing Appliances
  • Protection from Falling
  • Conservation of Fuel & Power
  • Access and Use of Buildings
  • Electrical Safety
  • Security (Dwellings)
  • Workmanship & Materials

At Downlands Design & Surveying we can advise on the specific requirements for your particular project in relation to the property and whether you require Planning Consent, Listed Building Consent and/or Building Regulations Consent.

We can then prepare the necessary documentation, submit on your behalf and deal with any queries put forward by the relevant Authority.

Regulated by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors

Registered with the Local Authority Building Control

Call 01825 890222

(answer machine when not available)

Downlands Framfield UCKFIELD East Sussex TN22 5PN